SAIIER 2019:Auroville Campus Initiative
|Auroville Campus Initiative|
Auroville Campus Initiative (ACI) is SAIIER’s Department of Further Learning. Its aim is to build higher education in Auroville. ACI sees Auroville as an integral learning campus and builds long-term programmes for youth & adults. At present, ACI has five programmes:
- Swadharma Plus,
- Disha - Auroville Gap Year Programme
- Integral Design Quest (beginning 2020).
It also supports other emerging programmes in Auroville.
Activities of the year:
1. Swadharma Programme
Swadharma is a five week ‘adventure of self discovery in Auroville’ for young seekers of the world. It is an immersion programme run with the support of 35+ resource persons.
In 2018-19 we had Swadharma batches 5 & 6, with 15 participants per batch. The first program ran in Jan – Feb, and the second Jul – Aug.
An Integral Psychologist from Indian Psychology Institute in Pondicherry participated in Swadharma 6 as a researcher to document the learning journey from an integral psychology perspective.
2. Swadharma Plus
Swadharma Plus is a 2-week programme (with 4 month follow-up) to find one's true calling for age 30 – 50. We had the first batch this year, with 5 participants plus 2 volunteer-cum-participants. The programme was held in March 2019.
3. Swadharma Alumni Meet
In March we held a 2-day long gathering with Swadharma alumni with the objective of fostering community and reflecting on individual growth post Swadharma. There were around 12 participants.
4. Confluence on Re-imagining Univers-city
This was a two-day confluence to accelerate long-term learning programmes in Auroville. 100 people participated, on 26-27 February 2019.
The Confluence was built completely bottoms-up. Instead of mentally identifying themes, the themes were identified on the basis of emerging long-term programmes in Auroville. This meant hundreds of emails & meetings in a short-period of time, but it was worth it!
5. Disha: Auroville Gap Year Programme (AGYP)
The Auroville Gap Year Programme is a much-needed bridge between Auroville schooling and the next steps in one's life path. In 2018-19, it was a seven month long programme offered to Auroville youth where two months were dedicated to finding one’s true calling and five months to apprenticeship in Auroville units and services. 9 youth participated in this first batch.
6. Integral Education Learning Journeys
In 2018, we held two online learning journeys curating content from Sri Aurobindo & The Mother's writings on Integral Education (IE). We also held a short learning journey with communication designers. Based on the success of the pilot, we will be launching Svadhyaya: Integral Studies Programme from 27 May - 18 July in 2019. We have 2 dedicated editors & multiple reviewers from Auroville and Pondicherry supporting us.
- Auroville Youth benefitted through Auroville Gap Year Programme.
- Swadharma has brought many youth to Auroville, many of whom serve and contribute to Auroville after the programme. Two Swadharma alumni have joined Auroville.
- Created 19 compilations on 19 topics from the works of The Mother & Sri Aurobindo. It can be found at https://ie.auroville.org.in. 45+ participants benefited through the process of creating these compilations; besides these the compilations are of benefit to teachers/coaches in Auroville who want to create educational material based in the works of The Mother & Sri Aurobindo, as well as newcomers who are new to the works of The Mother & Sri Aurobindo.
- Swadharma Plus was piloted for the first time. Like Swadharma, it involved the participation of several Auroville resource people who collaborated & benefitted from the process.
- 12+ teams in Auroville working on building long-term educational programmes for youth and adults benefitted from the Confluence talks & work sessions, as well as from the Curriculum Design Workshop.
The Confluence showed the vision of Auroville emerging as a Univers-city; so many Aurovilians inspired by this ideal are actually working towards creating learning programmes. We discovered that there are so many Aurovilians aspiring to build higher education in Auroville – which is the vision of ACI.
- Auroville Gap Year programme website: www.gapyear.auroville.org
- Confluence website: www.confluence.auroville.org