SAIIER 2016:Kalabhumi Music Studio
Kalabhumi Open Art Studio
|Kalabhumi Music Studio|
Kalabhumi Music Studio has been active now for the last 16 years, and has functioned as the most significant space for the practice of music in Auroville. A focal point for rehearsal, teaching, and performing, the space is open and used all year round by bands, students and teachers to further both collective and individual skills.
The studio is open 7 days a week, and is used by large numbers of groups and individuals. The building supports mainly amplified music, but is also used by other groups such as choirs, vocal workshops and other similar activities. This year as in previous years, there were several big events in which the music studio operated as the centre for activities, these included:
- Auroville Singing Festival – Annual event includes more than 80 participants.
- Millidacious – The third all-Auroville musical used Kalabhumi as its rehearsal place for more than 5 months.
- Kalabhumi Festival – The now yearly event showcases both Auroville and international artists.
- Jazz Vocal Concert with international visiting artists – performed in Bharat Nivas in February.
- AV Sisters – Led by Shakti, Vera and Swaha, they performed numerous concerts throughout the year.
- Tribute to Django Reinhart – Led by guitarist Shanks, recently moved from Bombay, concert featuring music from the Gypsy Jazz era.
Many Auroville music teachers use the space on a regular basis for their classes with children. A large variety of instruments are taught at the studio including piano, guitar, drums, tabla, saxophone, and singing. This year classes were also held in sound engineering and recording.
The studio is also been a space to support young musicians and up-and-coming artists. Several bands organised and led by Auroville youth regularly use the studio to practice and perform.
The Kalabhumi studio team is fully involved with other music projects elsewhere (including showcases outside of Auroville), through performances, organisation, coordination of visiting artists, and setup of concerts at other venues.