SAIIER 2014:Child Protection Service
Children and Trees
|Child Protection Service|
Aim of the project
Child Protection Service wants to achieve general awareness building, acceptance of gender issues and opening of the eyes towards possible child abuse in Auroville and its surroundings. The particular approach is exercised by us from grass-roots onwards, and aims at protecting our children by creating awareness from a young age onwards.
Activities of the year
We undertook one class per month in local area schools and cultural centers, which makes nine classes in a year. We reached altogether 196 individuals per month in the following establishments:
School Name No. students Standards Aikiyam School 48 6th & 7th Udavi School 38 7th & 8th NESS 45 9th, 10th, Plus 1, Plus 2 Edaiyanchavadi Government School 15 8th Kuilapalayam Cultural Center 35 2nd to 8th UCEC - Kottakkarai 45 Students of all standards
We start the class by sharing about Human Anatomy with students, and then we ask them how we can protect ourselves. From there we take them through thinking about cleanliness, healthy food and various other issues related to our body, health and environment. With children from 10 to 12 years we follow the workbook from ‘Tulir’, an organization in Chennai. With children from 13 to 18 years we follow the ‘Unicef’ books and information from the Internet.
We have distributed posters on child safety (awareness information) to Auroville outreach schools and to Government schools.
During our class we ask the students to reflect upon what they have learned from the classes:
- We should be careful while getting a lift.
- There are good touches and bad touches. We should be aware of this.
- We will teach this information to others.
Regarding domestic violence the following points came out from the children:
- Girls need more freedom to express their ideas and to be independent.
- I will be aware of myself.
- I will make sure my friends and family are aware of this child abuse.
- I feel my culture protects us from this type of abuse.
- I feel sorry for the children who go through the abuse.
- I even would request the Government to create an awareness program for the public and for all schools. The disabled children also should be protected.