SAIIER 2013:Science Fair
Auroville Best Practices
Overview and purpose
- To make children feel that science is all around us and we can gain knowledge as well as solve many problems also by relating the learning process to the physical and social environment.
- To provide a forum for children to pursue their natural curiosity and inventiveness to quench their thirst for creativity.
- To apply mathematics to visualize and solve problems pertaining to everyday life.
- To develop a complete education system in the spirit and ideals (“nothing can be taught”, “from near to far”, “from known to unknown”) of The Mother and Sri Aurobindo.
- To work in collaboration with classroom teachers to fulfill the needs of students in Auroville schools and to an extent the students from outreach schools in Auroville and neighboring villages.
The objective was to conduct an exhibition with the help of students and science teachers and inviting other school children to participate. The exhibit encompassed three main topics that integrate display/learning modules, plus a Students' Museum.
- Chemistry in everyday life: Through live display with posters to explore acid in fruits and kitchen chemistry.
- How stuff works: Provide different models, such as magic with magnets, cell phone charger, solar fan, energy cycle, mini rocket, etc.
- Applied mathematics
The Students' Museum displays materials collected by the students during the field trips, as well as students' creative works.
Partners in the project
- Auroville Schools Science Educational Training Centre Team & students
- New Era Secondary School, Auroville
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Kalapet
- Aikiyam School, Auroville
- Udavi Gentillesse School, Auroville
- Govt. High School, Alankuppam
- Tamil Ulagam Evening School, Rayapudupakkam
- White Angels School, Puducherry
- Bharathidasan English High School, Puducherry
- Sri Vijayanjali Vidyalaya Primary School, Alankuppam
- Pavendar English High School, Alankuppam
- Govt. Primary School, Sanjeevi Nagar
- Panchayat Union Middle School, Edayanchavady
|Arulvazhi Education Centre||40||5|
|Panchayat Union Middle School, Edyanchavady||25||4|
|New Era Secondary School, Auroville||48||9|
|Navodaya Vidyalaya, Kalapet||18||5|
|Pudhu Ulagam Evening School||42||3|
|Tamil Ulagam Evening Schools||145||8|
|Udavi Gentillesse School||170||10|
|Eco Club, Indira Nagar||35||3|
|White Angels School, Pondicherry||173||7|
|Govt. High School, Alankuppam||351||11|
|Sri Vijayangali Vidyalaya School, Alankuppam||545||14|
|Pavendar English High School, Alankuppam||275||13|
|Govt. School, Moratandy||45||2|
|Teacher trainees, Vanur block||-||8|
|Paul's teacher training school||15||-|
|Manaveli Govt. Primary School||41||5|
|Alumni of Auroville schools||25||-|
|Bharathidasan English School, Pondicherry||82||5|
|August 2012||Project planning||
- Purpose of exhibition, including target students, teachers and public
|September||Discussion with students and teachers||Discussing the possible number of exhibits related to the topics and list out the same. Prepare a procedure key aid for those exhibits.|
|October - November||Collection of materials||As per the exhibit list, collecting the required materials. (carried out by students, teachers and ASSET Centre team)|
|December||Design and develop exhibits||
- Using the materials and key aid, design and develop the exhibits (ASSET Centre team, students and teachers were involved in doing this work)
|January 2013||Pilot testing||Pilot testing of exhibits done by the ASSET Centre team with the help of students and teachers involved.|
|February 2013||- Display in the exhibition place
- Evaluation & documentation
- After successful completion of this testing final display at the exhibition hall (New Era Secondary School, Auroville)
|April end||Reporting||Preparation of project report by the coordinator of this project (K. Anbu)|
We got feedback from educationists, teachers, students and guests who visited the exhibition and we kept their comments as our asset for the next exhibition. We invited educationists from Auroville and outside to receive their valuable comments. This year three educationists from Auroville and two from Navodaya Vidyalaya School had come and gave the participation certificate to the students.