News & Notes 720:House of Mother's Agenda
- Here even the highest rapture Time can give
- Is a mimicry of ungrasped beatitudes,
- A mutilated statue of ecstasy,
- A wounded happiness that cannot live,
- A brief felicity of mind or sense
- Thrown by the World-Power to her body-slave,
- Or a simulacrum of enforced delight
- In the seraglios of Ignorance.
- For all we have acquired soon loses worth,
- An old disvalued credit in Time’s bank,
- Imperfection’s cheque drawn on the Inconscient.
- An inconsequence dogs every effort made,
- And chaos waits on every cosmos formed:
- In each success a seed of failure lurks.
- He saw the doubtfulness of all things here,
- The incertitude of man’s proud confident thought,
- The transience of the achievements of his force.
- A thinking being in an unthinking world,
- An island in the sea of the Unknown,
- He is a smallness trying to be great,
- An animal with some instincts of a god,
- His life a story too common to be told,
- His deeds a number summing up to nought,
- His consciousness a torch lit to be quenched,
- His hope a star above a cradle and grave.
- And yet a greater destiny may be his,
- For the eternal Spirit is his truth.
- He can re-create himself and all around
- And fashion new the world in which he lives:
- He, ignorant, is the Knower beyond Time,
- He is the Self above Nature, above Fate.
- His soul retired from all that he had done.
- Hushed was the futile din of human toil,
- Forsaken wheeled the circle of the days;
- In distance sank the crowded tramp of life.
- The Silence was his sole companion left.
- Impassive he lived immune from earthly hopes,
- A figure in the ineffable Witness’ shrine
- Pacing the vast cathedral of his thoughts
- Under its arches dim with infinity
- And heavenward brooding of invisible wings.
- A call was on him from intangible heights;
- Indifferent to the little outpost Mind,
- He dwelt in the wideness of the Eternal’s reign.
- His being now exceeded thinkable Space,
- His boundless thought was neighbour to cosmic sight:
- A universal light was in his eyes,
- A golden influx flowed through heart and brain;
- A Force came down into his mortal limbs,
- A current from eternal seas of Bliss;
- He felt the invasion and the nameless joy.
Savitri, Book I, Canto V:
“The Yoga of the King: The Yoga of the Spirit’s Freedom and Greatness”
|The Ponder Corner:||“There is a kind of quiet sweet sadness of yearning which it [psychic] feels when things go against the Divine, when the obscurity and obstacles are too heavy, when the mind, vital and physical follow after other things...”|
Letters on Yoga - I, p.108