News & Notes 719:House of Mother's Agenda
- A Will, a hope immense now seized his heart,
- And to discern the superhuman’s form
- He raised his eyes to unseen spiritual heights,
- Aspiring to bring down a greater world.
- The glory he had glimpsed must be his home.
- A brighter heavenlier sun must soon illume
- This dusk room with its dark internal stair,
- The infant soul in its small nursery school
- Mid objects meant for a lesson hardly learned
- Outgrow its early grammar of intellect
- And its imitation of Earth-Nature’s art,
- Its earthly dialect to God-language change,
- In living symbols study Reality
- And learn the logic of the Infinite.
- The Ideal must be Nature’s common truth,
- The body illumined with the indwelling God,
- The heart and mind feel one with all that is,
- A conscious soul live in a conscious world.
- As through a mist a sovereign peak is seen,
- The greatness of the eternal Spirit appeared,
- Exiled in a fragmented universe
- Amid half-semblances of diviner things.
- These now could serve no more his regal turn;
- The Immortal’s pride refused the doom to live
- A miser of the scanty bargain made
- Between our littleness and bounded hopes
- And the compassionate Infinitudes.
- His height repelled the lowness of earth’s state:
- A wideness discontented with its frame
- Resiled from poor assent to Nature’s terms,
- The harsh contract spurned and the diminished lease.
- Only beginnings are accomplished here;
- Our base’s Matter seems alone complete,
- An absolute machine without a soul.
- Or all seems a misfit of half ideas,
- Or we saddle with the vice of earthly form
- A hurried imperfect glimpse of heavenly things,
- Guesses and travesties of celestial types.
- Here chaos sorts itself into a world,
- A brief formation drifting in the void:
- Apings of knowledge, unfinished arcs of power,
- Flamings of beauty into earthly shapes,
- Love’s broken reflexes of unity
- Swim, fragment-mirrorings of a floating sun.
- A packed assemblage of crude tentative lives
- Are pieced into a tessellated whole.
- There is no perfect answer to our hopes;
- There are blind voiceless doors that have no key;
- Thought climbs in vain and brings a borrowed light,
- Cheated by counterfeits sold to us in life’s mart,
- Our hearts clutch at a forfeited heavenly bliss.
- There is provender for the mind’s satiety,
- There are thrills of the flesh, but not the soul’s desire.
Savitri, Book I, Canto V:
“The Yoga of the King: The Yoga of the Spirit’s Freedom and Greatness”
|The Ponder Corner:||“It is very difficult for a virtuous man to enter on the path of God.... because the virtuous man is very self-satisfied; he has the impression that he has realised what he had to realise - he has no aspiration any more nor even this elementary humility which makes one will for progress.”|
Questions and Answers 1956, p.142