- “The inner ear that listens to solitude,
- Leaning self-rapt unboundedly could hear
- The rhythm of the intenser wordless Thought
- That gathers in the silence behind life,
- And the low sweet inarticulate voice of earth
- In the great passion of her sun-kissed trance
- Ascended with its yearning undertone.
- Afar from the brute noise of clamorous needs
- The quieted all-seeking mind could feel,
- At rest from its blind outwardness of will,
- The unwearied clasp of her mute patient love
- And know for a soul the mother of our forms.”
- “Mother, here Sri Aurobindo writes: “the dumb secrecy of her inconscience”. Why her “inconscience”?
No, Nature is not unconscious, but she has an appearance of unconsciousness. It began with the inconscience, but in the depths of the inconscience there was consciousness, and this consciousness is gradually developing. (It is not the consciousness which develops, it is the manifestation of consciousness which develops, its expression: it expresses itself more and more.) For instance, mineral nature, stones, earth, metals, water, air, all this seems to be quite unconscious, although if one observes closely... And now science is discovering that this is only an appearance, that all this is only concentrated energy, and of course it is a conscious force which has produced all this. But apparently, when we see a rock, we don’t think it is conscious, it does not give the impression of being conscious, it seems to be altogether unconscious.
It is the appearance that is inconscient. It becomes more and more conscious. Even in the mineral kingdom there are phenomena which reveal a hidden consciousness, like certain crystals, for instance. If you see with what precision, what exactitude and harmony they are formed, if you are in the least open, you are bound to feel that behind there’s a consciousness at work, that this cannot be the result of unconscious chance.
Have you seen rock-crystals?... You have never seen a rock-crystal?
It is pretty, isn’t it? It is something very artistic.
And the movements of the sea, the movements of the air, of the wind, one can’t help feeling that behind there is a consciousness or even many consciousnesses at work. In fact, it is like that. Only the most superficial appearance is inconscient.”
New Year message of 1958
“O Nature, Material Mother, thou hast said that thou wilt collaborate and there is no limit to the splendour of this collaboration.”
“It does not mean that when we do not want it to rain, it will not rain! Or when we want some event to take place in the world, it will immediately take place, or that all difficulties will be abolished and everything will be like a fairy tale. It is not like that. It is something more profound. Nature has accepted into her play of forces the newly manifested Force and has included it in her movements. But as always, the movements of Nature take place on a scale infinitely surpassing the human scale and invisible to the ordinary human consciousness. It is more of an inner, psychological possibility that has been born in the world than a spectacular change in earthly events.”