Life Education Centre
Life Education Centre (LEC) provides a supportive environment for disadvantaged young women of Auroville and surrounding villages. Vocational training that is provided for the girls helps them to develop the skills necessary to be successful both in their future homes as well as in finding a suitable job. LEC is essentially a therapeutic learning community, where much emphasis is placed on various self-development tools.
LEC was established in 1991 with its main goal to create a centre for education and social change. At this time, many sponsored programmes were failing because of different views and opinions in regards to education, a problem that many Aurovilians remained unaware of. LEC began working with both girls and boys, including from the ‘untouchable’ Dalit caste, to mainly focus on improving their education and train them for future careers within Auroville. It began in front of a big tree in Kottakarai Farm of Auroville where the first 10-12 students came.
In June 2001, LEC moved to its current location on a plot of land near Isaiambalam.
Approach, methods and curricula
Students of the Life Education Centre participate in the following activities that enhance their education and personal growth:
- Vocational training such as tailoring, crochet, typing, and computers
- Therapeutic activities including individual and group counseling, discussions, and art therapy
- English language classes
- Body awareness activities such as somatics and Feldenkrais
- Lectures by experts in various fields from Auroville and surrounding villages
- Meditative activities like chanting
- Group art activities to awaken the aesthetic
Students at LEC are young women of the ages 14-21, from the villages surrounding Auroville. The number students varies from 12-15 and there are 5 women staff.
- Phone: (0413) 262-2082
- Email: lec (at) auroville.org.in
- Life Education Centre
- 605 101 Auroville
- Tamil Nadu, India
- Location: next to Isaiambalam School, Kottakarai