The Governing Board manages the general affairs of the Auroville Foundation. Its task is to promote the ideals of Auroville, to review and approve basic policies and programmes, to secure the proper management of all properties, to prepare the master plan and co-ordinate fundraising. Most of these functions are executed in consultation with the Residents Assembly.
The Governing Board consists of seven members nominated by the Central Government from amongst persons who have
- rendered valuable service to Auroville;
- dedicated themselves to the ideals of life-long education synthesis of material and spiritual researches or human unity;
- contributed significantly in activities that are being pursued or are envisaged to be promoted in Auroville, including activities relating to the environment, afforestation, arts and crafts, industry, agriculture, humanities, sciences and integral yoga;
- and of two representatives of the Central Government itself.
The members, who do not live in Auroville, hold office for a period of 4 years. The Governing Board meets at least twice a year in Auroville.
- Dr. Karan Singh (Chairman) - Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) & President, Indian Council for Cultural Relations
- Dr. Prema Nandkumar - famous independent researcher, translator, critic and authoress who writes in Tamil and English
- Prof. Sachidanand Mohanty - Vice Chancellor, Central University, Orissa. He is the recipient of several national and international awards, and has to his credit 28 books in English and in Odia.
- Dr. Anirban Ganguly - Director Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation, New Delhi; Co-Convener, Library Department, BJP; Member, Policy Research Department, BJP; Member, Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE), MHRD; Member, Visva Bharati Samsad (Court), Santiniketan
- Dr. Nirima Oza - Professor, Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences, Pondicherry.
- Dr. K. Parameswaran - Associate Professor of Law & Former Dean of Academic Affairs, Gujarat National Law University
- Sri. M. Madan Gopal, IAS (Retd.) - former Additional Chief Secretary Department of Forests, Environment and Ecology, Government of Karnataka. He also served as Executive Director for World Bank-funded Jala Samvardhane Yojana, (Integrated Tank Development Project), Commissioner for Public Instruction, Bangalore, Registrar, Central University of Hyderabad.