From Mother's play, “Towards the Future”:
- [W]hat is more subtle in us forms a kind of sheath around our bodies and we call this subtle sheath the aura.
- I understand, it is very clear. So then it can be very useful to see auras in this way?
- You are right, it is most useful. You can easily understand that the aura is the exact reflection of what is within us, of our feelings and our thoughts. If the thoughts and feelings are calm and harmonious, the aura too will be calm and harmonious; if the feelings are tumultuous and the thoughts disturbed, the aura will express this tumult and disturbance. It will be like the mist which you say you have seen around certain people.
- Yes, I understand. So these auras are very revealing.
- Yes, for those who see auras, deception can no longer exist. For example, however much a man of bad will may try to look like an angel of light, it will be in vain. His aura will reveal that his thoughts and motives are dark.
- Magnificent! What effects this knowledge might have in the world!
“The rays which you saw the trees giving out are there always, only they are veiled to the ordinary material vision.”
- “Sometimes I see an outline of white light around Mother. Is it that truly I can see Mother’s Light?
Of course you can see it. Nowadays it is visible to many.” (2 July 1933)
“What people see around the Mother is first her aura, as it is called nowadays, and secondly the forces of Light that pour out from her when she concentrates, as she always does on the roof for instance. (Everybody has an aura — but in most it is weak and not very luminous, in the Mother’s aura there is the full play of lights and powers.) People do not see it usually because it is a subtle physical and not a gross material phenomenon. They can see only on two conditions, first if they develop sufficient subtle sight, secondly if the aura itself begins to become so strong that it affects the sheath of gross matter which conceals it. The Mother has certainly no idea of making people see it — it is of themselves that one after another, some 20 or 30 in the Asram, I believe, have come to see. None of them are big Yogis, some of them are mere beginners. It is certainly one of the signs that the higher Force (call it supramental or not) is beginning to influence Matter.” (15 November 1933)
- “Some people see light etc. around the Mother but I am not able to do so. What is the obstruction in me?
It is not an obstruction — it is simply a question of the growth of the inner senses. It has no indispensable connection with spiritual progress. There are some very far on the path who have very little of this kind of vision if any — on the other hand sometimes it develops enormously in mere beginners who have as yet had only very elementary spiritual experiences.” (1 December 1933)
“They [the forces of illness] first weaken or break through the nervous envelope, the aura. If that is strong and whole, a thousand million germs will not be able to do anything to you.”
“[A] strengthening of this nervous envelope […] can be done partly by a healthy climate and a life without anxieties, but the only radical cure is to bring down the strength of the higher consciousness into the nervous being and the body and refortify the nervous envelope. This depends on the progress of your sadhana.”
“The red lotus is the flower of Sri Aurobindo, but specially for his centenary we shall choose the blue lotus, which is the colour of his physical aura, to symbolise the centenary of the manifestation of the Supreme upon earth.” (21 December 1971)
- Letters on Yoga – II', p.122
- The Mother with Letters on the Mother, p.268
- Ibid., p.270
- Letters on Yoga – IV, p.569
- Autobiographical Notes and Other Writings of Historical Interest, p.418
- Words of the Mother - I, p.16