Arulvazhi Education Centre
Arulvazhi (“Way of Grace” in Tamil) is an education centre near Promesse community that caters to children aged 3 to 18 years of the neighboring village. Over the years it has expanded its scope to include women’s education and also serve as a platform for interaction with the delegates from different parts of Tamilnadu and Auroville. The aim is to provide value-based education in an atmosphere of simplicity, beauty, joy and harmony wherein the children can develop naturally.
Approach, Methods and Curricula
Arulvazhi seeks to meet educational and cultural needs of children in light of the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother.
There are five areas of activities:
- Kindergarten group for 25 children aged 3 to 6 years
- Primary stage children group for 50 children
- Special yoga asana group for 45 children in the mornings from 6.00 to 7.30
- Adolescent girls group (12 to 17 yrs) of 22 children training in asanas, cultural expression, health education, social awareness particularly in relation to gender problems
- Puduulagam group for about 15 children who attend games and academic education from 5pm to 8pm.
Seminars and workshops are conducted in cooperation with the Tamil Heritage Centre on themes from Sri Aurobindonian literature.
Arulvazhi works in close collaboration with existing government educational structures. Excursions to places of cultural, educational and spiritual interest are arranged. The children are encouraged to practice and develop indigenous forms of art, folk songs, stage plays, etc. The self-improvement programmes for girls train them in various activities like child care, sports and crafts like tailoring, etc.
- Phone: 0413-291-8591
- E-mail: arulvazhi (at) auroville.org.in