=1 "True teaching"
- Unless you feel, naught will you ever gain;
- Unless this feeling pours forth from your soul
- With native, pleasing vigour to control
- The hearts of all your hearers, it will be in vain.
- Pray keep on sitting! Pray collect and glue,
- From others' feasts brew some ragout;
- With tiny heaps of ashes play your game
- And blow the sparks into a wretched flame!
- Children and apes will marvel at you ever,
- If you've a palate that can stand the part;
- But heart to heart you'll not draw men, no, never,
- Unless your message issue from your heart.