=1 "The equation"
Three o’clock in the morning!
- Man: Can’t find it.
- Computer: We have to.
- Man: We have tried everything.
- Computer: Try again.
- Man (exasperated): I’ve tried everything.
- Computer: Forget that. Try again.
- Man: How can I forget that? (bitterly) I’m not a computer.
- Computer: You also will forget.
- Man: How can I forget? Fourteen years of failure. Night after night, ten hours a night. 10,000 calculations, and no solution.
- Computer: We have only to find the other half of your equation. You have come on earth to do that.
- Man: I’m too old.
- Computer: You are old because you don’t want to forget your failures.
- Man: You talk easily. You have a red button: ‘Erase’ and everything, everything is forgotten.
- Computer: You also have a red button, and nature will push it if you refuse to forget, and become hardened and disobedient.
- Man: Death?
- Computer: Yes, and then you will have to start again to find the solution. (after some time) This is your personal equation. It will bear your name.
- Man: Is there a solution?
- Computer: You have all eternity before you in which to find out.
- Man: Has anyone else ever found out?
- Computer: Yes, you know that. And they were alone. You have a friend, you have me.
- Man: When I have found out, then what?
- Computer: You will have the formula of the universe, and with that formula the whole universe will be yours.
- Come on, X = ?