=1 "Fur-footed Brahman"
(“Despair on the Staircase”)
by Sri Aurobindo
- Mute stands she, lonely on the topmost stair,
- An image of magnificent despair;
- The grandeur of a sorrowful surmise
- Wakes in the largeness of her glorious eyes.
- In her beauty’s dumb significant pose I find
- The tragedy of her mysterious mind.
- Yet is she stately, grandiose, full of grace.
- A musing mask is her immobile face.
- Her tail is up like an unconquered flag;
- Its dignity knows not the right to wag.
- An animal creature wonderfully human,
- A charm and miracle of fur-footed Brahman,
- Whether she is spirit, woman or a cat,
- Is now the problem I am wondering at.