Savitri Bhavan is a centre dedicated to fostering a living sense of Human Unity through spiritual education based on the vision and teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother. The central focus is Sri Aurobindo’s mantric epic Savitri – a legend and a symbol, which the Mother has called “the supreme revelation of Sri Aurobindo’s vision".
Savitri Bhavan aims to gather and create, to house and share all kinds of materials and activities that will foster a deeper appreciation of Savitri, of the lives, work and vision of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, and of the aims and ideals of Auroville. The activities being organised and developed at Savitri Bhavan aim to make the vision of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother accessible to people of very different psychological types and cultural backgrounds. We approach their words for help and light, for the psychological insights and support that can show the way to a new and better kind of human life and society. We welcome everyone who longs for a higher and truer life, a brighter future for our earth and the whole human family.
Facitilites and services offered
- Picture Gallery: The Picture Gallery displays the "Meditations on Savitri" paintings made by Huta under the guidance of the Mother, illustrating selected passages from Sri Aurobindo’s poem.
- Reading Room: The Reading Room houses a reference collection of books and journals to facilitate study and understanding of Sri Aurobindo’s Savitri.
- Audio-visual Collection: Savitri Bhavan offers a rich collection of recorded talks, video-films and music relating to Savitri, the life and teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother, and the aims and ideals of Auroville, for use by groups and individuals.
- Maison de l’Agenda de Mere – House of Mother’s Agenda: The House of Mother's Agenda was created in 1988 to provide access to the Mother’s Agenda - the Mother’s record of her sadhana from 1956–1973. It has been housed at Savitri Bhavan since 2006.
- Programmes: A programme of regular weekly classes, courses and activities; exhibitions, musical events, guest lectures and film shows, as well as workshops, retreats and orientation sessions are offered to the interested public.
- Reception and Information Service: The Reception Desk is open from 9-5 daily, 6 days a week, to receive visitors and answer queries. Queries from students and researchers are also dealt with by e-mail and correspondence. Books, recordings and learning-materials related to the activities of Savitri Bhavan are available from the Information Service.
- Research: Supporting these services and activities, a team of researchers are engaged in developing materials that will foster a deeper understanding and appreciation of the vision and work of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother and the aims and ideals of Auroville. Assistance is also offered to students and researchers in this field from around the world.
Savitri Bhavan publishes two journals of Study Notes on Savitri: Invocation in English, and Prarthana in Tamil, as well as books and pamphlets relating to the work of Mother and Sri Aurobindo and the aims and ideals of Auroville.
Exploring Sri Aurobindo's Savitri — A Legend and a Symbol:
An introductory reading list
- Location: International Zone, between Bharat Nivas and Matrimandir
- Hours: Reception Desk, Office and Reading Room are open 9-5 daily, Monday to Saturday
- Phone: 262-2922
- Email: email@example.com