Raw (Green) Papaya Poryal
Brought to you by the cooks of Solitude Farm, Jaya and Sathiya.
- Green papaya – peeled, seeds removed, washed and grated
- Oil – 2 Tbsp.
- Mustard – ½ Tsp.
- Urad dal (blackgram dal) polished/split – 2 Tbsp
- Chillies (green or dry red) – 2 or 3 broken or slit
- Curry leaves – 2 strings
- Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp.
- Coriander leaves (chopped fine) – 1 Tbsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Grated coconut – handful
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Preparation / Method:
- Heat oil in a thick pan.
- Crackle the mustard
- Add urad dal on low flame, cook until brown.
- Add chillies and curry leaves.
- Immediately add grated papaya and turmeric and cook on low flame. Cover the pan.
- When the papaya is tender, add salt.
- Cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or chapatis.