- “Only awhile at first these heavenlier states,
- These large wide-poised upliftings could endure.
- The high and luminous tension breaks too soon,
- The body’s stone stillness and the life’s hushed trance,
- The breathless might and calm of silent mind;
- Or slowly they fail as sets a golden day.
- The restless nether members tire of peace;
- A nostalgia of old little works and joys,
- A need to call back small familiar selves,
- To tread the accustomed and inferior way,
- The need to rest in a natural pose of fall,
- As a child who learns to walk can walk not long,
- Replace the titan will for ever to climb,
- On the heart’s altar dim the sacred fire.
- An old pull of subconscious cords renews;
- It draws the unwilling spirit from the heights,
- Or a dull gravitation drags us down
- To the blind driven inertia of our base.
- This too the supreme Diplomat can use,
- He makes our fall a means for greater rise.
- For into ignorant Nature’s gusty field,
- Into the half-ordered chaos of mortal life
- The formless Power, the Self of eternal light
- Follow in the shadow of the spirit’s descent;
- The twin duality for ever one
- Chooses its home mid the tumults of the sense.
- He comes unseen into our darker parts
- And, curtained by the darkness, does his work,
- A subtle and all-knowing guest and guide,
- Till they too feel the need and will to change.”
“[W]hen something suddenly descends and illuminates your understanding: all of a sudden, you feel you know a certain thing for the very first time, because it comes to you directly from the domain of Light, the domain of true knowledge, and it comes with all its innate force of truth — it illuminates you. And indeed, when you've just received it, it seems as though nothing could resist that Light. And if you make sure to let it work in you, it brings about as much transformation as it can in its own domain.
It is a fairly common experience. When it occurs, and for some time afterwards (not very long), everything seems to organize itself quite naturally around that Light. Then, little by little, it blends with all the rest. The intellectual awareness of it remains, formulated in one way or another — that much is left — but it's like an empty husk. It no longer has the driving force that transforms all movements of the being in the image of that Light.”