Difference between revisions of "Budget Coordination Committee (BCC)"
|(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
|Line 90:||Line 90:|
*Email: bccoffice (at) auroville.org.in
*Email: bccoffice (at) auroville.org.in
Latest revision as of 17:02, 15 July 2019
Auroville's Budget Coordination Committee (BCC) has the task of managing an all-Auroville budget and coordinating the allocation of Auroville’s income towards the 'development' and 'maintenance' budgets of Auroville. The BCC is composed mostly of representatives of other working groups. The BCC is a subgroup of the FAMC.
The BCC has regular meetings on Thursdays from 2:30-5:00.
Guiding Principles of the BCC
- a) Facilitate the development of strategies that nurture and promote the vision of Sri Aurobindo and the directions of the Mother in relation to the Auroville economy.
- b) Support FAMC in implementing sustainable development within Auroville.
- c) Ensure transparency, accountability and proper utilisation of the City Services budget.
Responsibilities of the BCC
- a) Oversee the management of the City Services Secretariat.
- b) Propose to the Finance Assets and Management Committee (FAMC) for approval:
- i) The annual City Services budgets.
- ii) Changes to the approved City Services budget.
- iii) Policy related to City Services.
- iv) The positions required for the City Services Secretariat.
- c) Present approved budgets and budget changes to the residents of Auroville.
- d) Monitor City Services budgets, income and expenses, and activities.
- i) Ensure that contributions are made in accordance with the minimum levels approved by the FAMC, and oversee collection of contributions.
- ii) Monitor activities’ budgets to ensure expenditures are in accordance with the approved budgets amounts, and expenditures are in accordance with approved budget lines.
- iii) Maintain up to date monthly income and expense records
- iv) Ensure that City Services Reserves are not depleted (The BCC must inform the FAMC, if the reserves fall below 2 x the average monthly expenditures, (average to be taken from the previous 12 months). Once reserves fall below this level, continued deficit spending must be reviewed and approved by the FAMC.).
- v) Alert the FAMC about anticipated or planned annual budgetary deficits in due time, and develop and suggest contingency plans for such budgetary deficits.
- vi) Provide and publish monthly reports and an annual report to the FAMC and the Residents of Auroville. Prepare and publish an annual report on the performance and the effective use of funds on all City Services recipients.
- vii) Consider requests for adjustments to annual budgets.
- viii) Constitute, oversee and support the Human Resource Team.
Functioning and Accountability of the BCC
- a) The BCC is accountable to the Resident Assembly and shall function under the overall direction of the Funds and Assets Management Committee (FAMC).
- b) The BCC shall determine its own working procedures subject to this mandate.
- c) The BCC shall meet at least once a week.
- d) If the BCC cannot arrive at a decision, the issue will be referred to the Funds and Assets Management Committee (FAMC), and the decision of the FAMC will be final and binding.
Composition and Selection of Members of the BCC
- a) The BCC shall be composed of 11 members to be determined by the FAMC.
- b) For now, the proposed representatives shall be proposed from the groups listed below; however, this list may change as decided by the FAMC.
- c) The FAMC will inform selected groups to propose up to two representatives. The FAMC will select the members from the proposed representatives.
- d) If there are not suitable candidates proposed, the FAMC may, at its own discretion appoint members to the BCC.
- e) The selected members will be submitted to the Residents Assembly for a two week feedback period.
- f) The members will serve three year terms and may be reappointed for a second term. A person may not serve a third consecutive term in any form or manner. Reappointment will follow the same process as selection. If a member completes 2 consecutive terms, s/he will be eligible to be a member of the BCC team after a gap of one year.
- g) Resource persons may be invited to work with the group as needed on specific issues.
Criteria for being member of the BCC
- a) Proven commitment to the realization of a collective organization and economy as envisaged by the Mother for Auroville.
- b) A capacity to see beyond the particular needs of their own representative area of work or interest.
- c) An openness and concern for the well being of all aspects of Auroville’s maintenance and development.
- d) A capacity to work in a team and to give sufficient time to the work, in a spirit of goodwill, collaboration and transparency.
- e) An affinity and / or experience with community work in the domain of budgeting and accounting.
- f) An in-depth knowledge in any of the areas represented in the BCC.
Removal of a member from the BCC
- a) In case a member is in violation of one or more criteria as detailed above, the FAMC may appoint a replacement for such a member. Replacement of a member shall follow the same process as selection.
- b) In case a member steps out before completion of term, FAMC may appoint a replacement.
- Email: bccoffice (at) auroville.org.in