AIR 1968 Auroville Inauguration
This is All India Radio. At half-past ten this morning, Auroville, ‘The City of Dawn’, the city of universal culture, came from dream to reality.
- I saw the Omnipotent’s flaming pioneers
- Come crowding down the amber stairs of birth;
- I saw them cross the twilight of an age,
- The sun-eyed children of a marvellous dawn,
- The great creators with wide brows of calm,
- Faces that wore the Immortal’s glory still,
- Voices that communed still with the thoughts of God,
- Carrying the magic word, the mystic fire,
- Carrying the Dionysian cup of joy,
The "sun-eyed children of a marvellous dawn" came to that City of Dawn this morning, carrying the cups of joy. In front of the Lotus, they had all gathered, to get the blessings of the Mother of the Sri Aurobinido Ashram. Trying to find the rising city dedicated to the youth of the world, and giving a lead to all the countries is this reality of international living, [which] the Mother said.
- "Salut d’Auroville à tous les hommes de bonne volonté. Sont conviés à Auroville tous ceux qui ont soif de progrès et aspirent à une vie plus haute et plus vraie."
Auroville is a unique, universal cultural township, meaning literally ‘The City of Dawn’, named in honor of Sri Aurobindo. The project has been inspired by a dream of the Mother.
As early as 1912, our Mother, then a young lady in France, foresaw the rise of this model city. A city whereby men and women of all countries would be able to live in peace and progressive harmony, above all creeds, all politics, and all nationalities.
Representatives from 134 countries and 23 Indian states participated in this unique performance ceremony to deposit the symbolic earth of their countries in the foundation stone structure. The Charter of the new city, that was placed this morning in the foundation stone structure, was read by the Mother.
- Auroville n’appartient à personne en particulier. Auroville appartient à toute l’humanité dans son ensemble.
Mais pour séjourner à Auroville, il faut être le serviteur volontaire de la Conscience Divine.
- Auroville sera le lieu de l’éducation perpétuelle, du progrès constant, et d’une jeunesse qui ne vieillit point.
- Auroville veut être le pont entre le passé et l’avenir.
Profitant de toutes les découvertes extérieures et intérieures, elle veut hardiment s’élancer vers les réalisations futures.
- Auroville sera le lieu des recherches matérielles et spirituelles pour donner un corps vivant à une unité humaine concrète.
To the subdued tones of the musical ensemble of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, the message of the Charter reverberated in English and Russian, Japanese and Tibetan, Spanish and Sanskrit, Tamil and German and various other languages, as young representatives translated the Charter. As a symbol of international fellowship, they deposited handfuls of earth taken from their homelands into the foundation structure. In this ceremony of depositing the symbolic earth, precedence was given ‒ appropriately ‒ to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram.
- ஆரோவில் குறிப்பிட்ட எவருக்கும் சொந்தமானது அல்ல. ஆரோவில் மனித இனம் முழுவதற்கும் சொந்தமானது ஆகும். ஆனால், ஆரோவில்லில் வசிக்க வேண்டும் என்று ஒருவர் விரும்பினால், அவர் தெய்வீக உணர்விற்கு விருப்பத்துடன் தொண்டு செய்பவராக இருக்கவேண்டும்.
- ஆரோவில் முடிவுறாத கல்வி, இடையறாத முன்னேற்றம், மூப்புறாத இளமை ஆகியவற்றின் இருப்பிடமாக விளங்கும்.
- ஆரோவில் சென்ற காலத்திற்கும், வருங்காலத்திற்கும் இடையே ஒரு பாலமாக இருக்க விழைகிறது. புற உலக, அக உலகக் கண்டுபிடிப்புகள் அனைத்தையும் பயன்படுத்தியபடி ஆரோவில்லானது துணிவுடன் எதிர்கால நன்முடிவுகளை நோக்கித் துடிப்புடன் முகிழ்த்து எழும்.
- ஆரோவில் மனிதகுல ஒருமைபாட்டிற்கு ஓர் உருவம் கொடுப்பதற்கான உலகியல் மற்றும் ஆன்மிக ஆராய்ச்சிகளுக்குரிய நிலையமாக விளங்கும்.
- Auroville belongs to nobody in particular. Auroville belongs to humanity as a whole.
But to live in Auroville one must be the willing servitor of the Divine's [sic] Consciousness.
- Auroville will be the place of an unending education, of constant progress, and a youth that never ages.
- Auroville wants to be the bridge between the past and the future.
Taking advantage of all discoveries from without and from within, Auroville will boldly spring towards future realisations.
- Auroville will be a site of material and spiritual researches for a living embodiment of an actual human unity.
Roger Anger, the French architect, is in charge of the team of architects who will develop this unique city, which is coming up with the blessings of UNESCO. The city which will contribute international understanding and the promotion of peace. The fourteenth general conference of UNESCO, held in Paris in 1966, unanimously passed a resolution commending this new township planned to have 50,000 citizens. The city is coming up under the sponsorship of Sri Aurobindo Society.
- "Being apprised that in connection with the commemoration of the 20th anniversary of UNESCO, the Sri Aurobindo Society, Pondicherry, India, a non-governmental organisation affiliated to the Indian National Commission for UNESCO, proposed to set up a cultural township known as Auroville, where people of different countries will live together in harmony in one community, and engage in cultural, educational, scientific, and other pursuits. Noting that the township will have Pavilions intended to represent the cultures of the world, not only i ntellectually, but also by representing different schools of architecture, painting, sculpture, music, etc., as part of a way of living; appreciating that one of the aims of Auroville will be to bring together in close juxtaposition the values and ideals of different civilisations and cultures; [UNESCO] expresses the belief that the project will contribute to international understanding and promotion of peace, and commends it to those interested in UNESCO's ideals."
Located three miles north of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry, situated in Tamil Nadu state, and covering an area of more than 15 square miles, Auroville will be a universal town where men and women of all countries will live in peace and progressive harmony above all creeds, all politics, and all nationalities. As the Mother has said, the purpose of Auroville is to realize human unity.
The Four Zones
Now is Julie Medlock, to describe to you the plan and design of this universal cultural city:
- "The town is being developed on a circular or concentric plan, with equal place given to the four fundamental aspects of man's activity:
- Work ‒ the Industrial Zone
- Dwelling ‒ the Residential Zone
- Culture ‒ the Cultural Zone
- Socialization ‒ the International Zone
- In the Industrial Zone, industries and handicrafts necessary for the life of Auroville will be grouped, and a large agricultural complex with farms, fisheries, orchards, dairies, nursery and veterinary hospital will complete it. These industrial agricultural units will be intentionally modeled for duplication elsewhere, as well as training centers and modern technological methods and management procedures.
- In the Residential Zone, architectural innovation and variation will be freely used in houses, private villas, apartment houses, hotels and guest houses. These will be set among gardens, around squares, along streets paved with mosaic. There will be monorails and moving sidewalks instead of motor traffic. Many expressions of beauty and form: views opening on fountains, ponds, flower beds, and works of art, will create an atmosphere of peace and harmony.
- In the Cultural Zone there will be a World University developing new patterns of education for tomorrow. An agricultural polytechnic, a research center, a center for training in arts and crafts, a world communication center, academies of arts and sciences, and all sports facilities.
- In the International Zone there will be Pavilions of many nations and Indian states, and a Peace Pavilion with a replica of the meditation room at the United Nations in New York.
- The four zones converge upon the Gardens of Unity, in the center of which, surrounded by a lake, will be the sanctuary of truth and the ‘Matrimandir’ or shrine of the Mother. This crown of gardens overhanging the lake is the heart of the city and its dominating point, opening upward to the Light.
- An isolating zone of great natural beauty will be maintained all around the city."
Frederick and Auroson
Even as Auroville is coming up, men and women from various parts of the world have been drawn to this City of Dawn by the teachings of the great master, Sri Aurobindo. In [his] honor, Auroville has come into being.
Auroson has become the first child of the City of Dawn. Born to a German and a Swedish wife, the child will have a very special future. Now what are the visions this child is to see in the world to come? Listen now to his father, Frederick:
- "Ten years from now, Auroson will have a city in the making as his playground. His games will take place on the scaffolding of the future. What better field for adventure and exploration can one offer a ten-year-old boy: a whole town as his plaything. From every direction, people and materials for the rise, in constant stream. A city flowing with life and waters will be at his disposal. A planetary city which will never be completed will offer him all the excitement of the unfinished. It will be always changing; and change itself will be familiar to him.
- As he grows into his teens, Auroville will be in its teens. In the gardens and parks, no signs: Don't step on the grass, but maybe there will be tools for him to help the garden grow. Objects of art will invite him to work on them; and huge mobiles will ask him to be set in motion. Imagine a museum where the visitor is asked, "Please, touch." No mere sightseeing, but creative participation.
- Auroson, along with Aurosylle and all the children of the future, will not experience a machine as other than themselves, but as extension of his body. Computers will answer his questions; televisions and radio telescopes will narrate complex stories. Everything that moves in Auroville could be seen as a dance of the city; and as Auroson moves by the elevated electric cart, a boy will be dancing with the city of his birth. The life of the city will be his school. Auroson will be an explorer, as all boys are. And he will blaze the trail of his own truth through Auroville.
- Auroson, Auroville, Aurobindo. A mantra, a progression, and a promise. At ten, Auroson will be playing in twin cities: a city of joy in his heart, and a city of hope in South India."
But here ___ Mastro, an American, who is one of the original members of the Auroville group, and who expects to be living in Auroville shortly, to work on the development of a new workers' community.
- "...appears like a crystallization of the finest dreams and lead hopes of all mankind. In fact, some unique and beautiful design of the city is planned and modeled; but the essential concepts of life in Auroville, based on Sri Aurobindo's ideal of human unity, Auroville can actually be seen as a refined condensation of man's aspirations for a higher consciousness. People from different parts of the world come here to begin work on the city. To be in one place where the spirit of the work here is human unity, is a special – a very special – kind of life.
- "They who come will be able to find that basic necessities are no longer such a demand on their time and attention. That they can then forget themselves, in that sense, and devote themselves to the future, to a higher ideal.
- "Currently, uh, the first area of Auroville has begun development is a section known as 'Promesse'. Where there are a number of buildings – some are experimental village communities, where some people have begun to live already. Just recently a young chap came from France, and he's doing the cooking now – something he may not have done before, but he finds that that's what he's enjoying doing, and it fit into the necessities.
- "That's one of the wonderful aspects, by the way – that is, working together now. There are people here from many, many different cultures of the world, whose environment has been so completely different from one another, that if we had to share our mental ideas on how to function, we probably never could find one way. That way is found in a kind of quiet way. It's the kind of thing that happens when people work together. I think it happens often when people work together without looking for their ego's, uh... intrusion. Without pushing ego.
- "So then the man who comes from Italy, who's constructing some of the roads and so forth; and he deals with a young chap who's from Australia; and the French cook, or the – or myself, an American. It's not necessary, somehow, to draw those lines anymore. We don't really see ourselves so separate. We see ourselves as part of Auroville. People who are out to do one main job: to build a place, that can perhaps one day even be a model or pattern for urban living, and a way of life. A way of life that no longer needs to be based on the old concepts. To actually drop away, to __ the old notions, and form a new kind of community. A universal community."
The City of Dawn is rising, under the circumstance to realize a harmonious society. A society free from the prejudices of race and religion, color and country. In fact, it'll be a ____, and in it, no man will be an island.
To such a world, the Sri Aurobindo Society is taking us; and its secretary Sr. Navajata, now [will describe] the shape of things, as expected to come in Auroville.
- "Auroville will provide many facilities to its residents and visitors,for all-round progress as well as for undertaking activities through which they can, on their part, give the benefit of their capacities to mankind.
- "It will have a university, an Institute of Integrated Health Sciences, cultural Pavilions of all different countries, seaside resort, an Olympic village, industries, hotels, World Trade Center, a film studio, all kinds of sports, airport, ship port, shopping center, model villages, et cetera.
- "But everything will be undertaken not to make money, but to find a way of life which will bring a progressive harmony in the individual and its collective life.
- "One of the most important aspects of Auroville is its effort towards human unity through a psychological transformation. And for this purpose, it will carry out an integral research in the psychology of man. This is a task never so far undertaken on such a large scale. We believe that this research will also lead to find a way for developing the latent faculties in man: faculties of intuition, and beyond it. It can be well imagined that if a man could develop in him faculties beyond Mind, and channelize them in everyday life, all its activities would obtain a new standard and new forms, and a deeper and truer harmony never so far achieved.
- "Imagine a step further: that all the people in a collective life develop in themselves faculties beyond Mind, perfect their external personalities, find their true place in collective life, each one helping and collaborating with others, and see what they can achieve in every walk of life. Auroville will provide a living example."
To mark the Inauguration of Auroville, and to give a cross-section of the culture and arts of India to residents from abroad, the [Sri] Aurobindo Society had arranged an exhibition and special programs. Now here are some excerpts from a program of dance and music, presented by the students of [the Sri Aurobindo] International Centre of Education, Pondicherry.
(end of audio)